Concerned Malaysians are encouraged to send petition letters to the Chief Minister of Penang to stop the Penang Global City Centre project before it is too late. (See sample letter below)
Tan Sri Dr Koh Tsu Koon
Chief Minister of Penang
Dear Tan Sri
The PGCC Turf Club Project
I would like to add my name to the increasingly large group of Penangites and Malaysians who have very grave concerns about the above project.
My/Our reasons for opposing this project are:
1. Environmental impacts
* A substantial green lung, much needed by Penangites to enjoy, being lost to benefit private developers.
* A high density mini-city (comprising 37 high rise towers of over 40 storeys) being introduced into George Town for which there is no need, either socially, economically, culturally or physically and which will certainly cause a deterioration of the urban environment of the city.
* A worsening traffic situation in the vicinity of the site will be further complicated by the extra traffic generated (6,933 residential units and 27,732 car parks).
2. Improper approval procedures for project
* Assuming fast tract approval before a detailed EIA has been prepared and approved.
* Conversion of a recreational open space to mixed development in the Structure Plan against public opinion.
* Lack of public consultation with regards to the project of this scale (in comparison to PORR project).
* Approved density of nearly 30 units to an acre against that prevailing in the neighbouring lots of 6 units to an acre.
* Transfer of development rights from non-developable hill land (over 250 ft above sea- level) to the flatter section of the site being granted.
* Exemption from provision of the low cost housing component on the site.
3. Public deception and inappropriate political support
* Deceiving the public during the launch by excluding the 37 high rise blocks integral to the plan in the publicity blitz in the models and illustrations displayed to the press and public.
* Inappropriate statements of support made by high ranking state and national public figures during the launching of the project before approval by local authorities.
* Almost-total media blackout of public concerns and queries raised suggesting the possibility of a media conspiracy.
You, Tan Sri, as the Chief Minister representing the people of Penang, have the final right over land matters in the State.
Please show us that you still care for Penang by making a stance in favour of the greater common good. In your heart you must know that this project will destroy the Penang we all love.
Yours truly in support of Penang