The Barisan Nasional government privatised the water industry in Selangor to four different companies from 1996 onwards to increase efficiency but it has resulted in corruption, wastage and mismanagement, says a flyer distributed by the Selangor government.
Selangor believes there should be a holistic water services industry that is streamlined, with no inefficiencies and with lower tariffs, better services, and continued 20m3 of free water.
The Federal Government has bailed Syabas out many times using Malaysian tax-payers’ money and is about to give another soft loan to them.
Did you know that……..
Selangor residents could be paying 100 per cent more in 2015!
Syabas wanted the tariff to increase 37 per cent in 2009, 25 per cent in 2012 and 20 per cent in 2015 through the Concession agreement approved by the Federal Government in 2005.
Syabas imported RM 375 million worth of pipes from an Indonesian company owned by Tan Sri Rozali Ismail instead of sourcing locally in June 2005.
More than 72 per cent of contracts, worth RM600 million in total, were awarded through direct negotiation, not open tender process.
In December 2009, the Federal government gave a RM320.8 million back-loaded interest-free unsecured soft loan to Puncak Niaga, the holding company of Syabas to settle their debts.
As responsible citizens of the country, it is our duty to:
- Recognise that access to clean water is a fundamental human right, as declared by the UN
- stop the Federal Government from bailing out failed privatised companies
- Stop privatising profits and socialising losses
- Support the Selangor State Government in taking over the water industry in Selangor
- Fight for better, cleaner, water and more efficient services
Do we have the courage to stop the continued corruption and leakage from happening under our noses?
What we can do…
- Support the signature campaign petition to our DYMM Yang di-Pertuan Agong on 5 December, 2010 organised by the Selangor state government. To join the on-line signature campaign, please visit the petition website
- Attend the 5 December, 2010 gathering at noon at National Mosque, Kuala Lumpur to present a memorandum to DYMM Yang di-Pertuan Agong.
- Print out flyers to distribute to your friends and enourage to sign the petiton online at http://www.airuntukrakyat.net/main/petition.php or print out the petition form to collect signatures from your friends and relatives. Email a scanned PDF copy to [email protected] or Fax: 03-55109686
Our voluntary writers work hard to keep these articles free for all to read. But we do need funds to support our struggle for Justice, Freedom and Solidarity. To maintain our editorial independence, we do not carry any advertisements; nor do we accept funding from dubious sources. If everyone reading this was to make a donation, our fundraising target for the year would be achieved within a week. So please consider making a donation to Persatuan Aliran Kesedaran Negara, CIMB Bank account number 8004240948.