Home Civil Society Voices 2015 Civil Society Voices Suaram calls it abuse of power: Sosma must go!

Suaram calls it abuse of power: Sosma must go!

Whistleblower Khairuddin Abu Hassan - Image: themalaysianinsider.com

Join us on Telegram and Instagram for the latest.

Suara Rakyat Malaysia (Suaram) welcomes the decision by the High Court in the case of Khairuddin Abu Hassan and his lawyer Matthias Chang.

The decision to reject the charges against Khairuddin Abu Hassan and Matthias Chang is a courageous step forward for the judiciary of Malaysia. While it is unfortunate that Khairuddin and Matthias would still have to stand trial for the crime of highlighting possible corruption in Malaysia, this small victory is still welcome news in these turbulent times.

Further, Suaram calls on the attorney general to consider dropping the charges filed against Khairuddin and Matthias as the court has rejected their ‘crimes’ as a security offence. Failure to do so would contravene the attorney general’s statement that prosecution would not take place unless he is certain of 99 per cent chance of conviction. In this case, the decision by the High Court clearly sided the 1 per cent and should thus be an end to this ill-advised misadventure.

On this note, Suaram reiterates our stance that laws such as Sosma that permit detention without trial are draconian and unconscionable laws that should not exist and MUST be repealed. The abuse of such laws in Malaysia is not uncommon and the case of Khairuddin and Matthias highlights the danger.

Lastly, draconian laws such as Sosma are not the way to protect the safety and security of Malaysia but are the first step in converting Malaysia into a police state. As Malaysians, we must not allow this to be our future!

Sevan Doraisamy is executive director of human rights group Suaram.

Thanks for dropping by! The views expressed in Aliran's media statements and the NGO statements we have endorsed reflect Aliran's official stand. Views and opinions expressed in other pieces published here do not necessarily reflect Aliran's official position.

Our voluntary writers work hard to keep these articles free for all to read. But we do need funds to support our struggle for Justice, Freedom and Solidarity. To maintain our editorial independence, we do not carry any advertisements; nor do we accept funding from dubious sources. If everyone reading this was to make a donation, our fundraising target for the year would be achieved within a week. So please consider making a donation to Persatuan Aliran Kesedaran Negara, CIMB Bank account number 8004240948.
Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x