The Joint Action Group for Gender Equality (JAG) is deeply concerned by police investigations against Ambiga Sreenevasan and Marina Mahathir, just a day after investigations began against activist Fadiah Nadwa Fikri over a peaceful protest at Dataran Merdeka.
This intimidation and harassment of women activists is a dangerous trend – and it must stop.
All of us have the right to express our views and to gather peacefully, as guaranteed by the Constitution. And we condemn any attempt to trample on these rights in the government’s attempt to crack down on dissent.
We urge the police to cease investigations against Fadiah, Ambiga and Marina as well as any others who are expressing their views.
We also demand that the government respects and protects our constitutional rights to freedom of expression and freedom of association and assembly, more so during this critical time in our country.
- Sign up for Aliran's free daily email updates or weekly newsletters or both
- Make a one-off donation to Persatuan Aliran Kesedaran Negara, CIMB a/c 8004240948
- Make a pledge or schedule an auto donation to Aliran every month or every quarter
- Become an Aliran member
Endorsed by the following JAG member organisations:
- Women’s Aid Organisation (WAO)
- All Women’s Action Society (Awam)
- Association of Women Lawyers (AWL)
- Foreign Spouses Support Group (FSSG)
- Justice for Sisters
- Kryss Network
- Perak Women for Women Society (PWW)
- Persatuan Kesedaran Komuniti Selangor (Empower)
- Persatuan Sahabat Wanita Selangor (PSWS)
- Sabah Women’s Action Resource Group (Sawo)
- Sarawak Women for Women Society (SWWS)
- Sisters in Islam (SIS)
- Women’s Centre for Change (WCC)