Comment by UN Human Rights Office spokesperson Liz Throssell on executions in Singapore:
We deplore the hanging [on 2 August] of two men in Singapore and are deeply troubled by the planned execution of two others on 5 August.
The two, a Malaysian and a Singaporean, were hanged at Changi Prison [on the morning of 2 August] after they were convicted in May 2015 of drug trafficking and their appeals subsequently rejected.
Two other men, Abdul Rahim Shapiee and his co-accused Ong Seow Ping, [were] expected to be executed on Friday [5 August] after [Abdul Rahim’s] family was notified of his fate on 29 July. They were both convicted in 2018 of possession of drugs for the purpose of trafficking and their sentences upheld on appeal. In the past, co-accused persons have almost always been executed on the same day.
We urge the Singapore authorities to halt all scheduled executions, including those of Abdul Rahim Shapiee and Ong Seow Ping. We also call on the government of Singapore to end the use of mandatory death sentences for drug offences, commute all death sentences to a sentence of imprisonment, and immediately put in place a moratorium on all executions, with a view to abolishing the death penalty.
- Sign up for Aliran's free daily email updates or weekly newsletters or both
- Make a one-off donation to Persatuan Aliran Kesedaran Negara, CIMB a/c 8004240948
- Make a pledge or schedule an auto donation to Aliran every month or every quarter
- Become an Aliran member
The death penalty is inconsistent with the right to life and the right to be free from torture or cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment, and there is growing consensus for its universal abolition. More than 170 states have so far abolished or introduced a moratorium on the death penalty either in law or in practice. – UN Rights
AGENDA RAKYAT - Lima perkara utama
- Tegakkan maruah serta kualiti kehidupan rakyat
- Galakkan pembangunan saksama, lestari serta tangani krisis alam sekitar
- Raikan kerencaman dan keterangkuman
- Selamatkan demokrasi dan angkatkan keluhuran undang-undang
- Lawan rasuah dan kronisme