Join us on Telegram and Instagram for the latest.
Aliran has just launched an online petition calling on the people of Malaysia to stand up and speak out to protect our fledgling democracy.
The petition was launched after the authorities hauled up a string of civil society activists, opposition MPs and political activists, unionists, editors and journalists for investigations under various oppressive laws.
The petition contains the following demands:
- drop all investigations and charges against critical voices in society
- immediately repeal all repressive laws in the country
- ensure Parliament provides effective checks and balances on the executive
- recognise the role of civil society and free media in a democracy
- widen rather than restrict our democratic space
The petition can be found here
Thanks for dropping by! The views expressed in Aliran's media statements and the NGO statements we have endorsed reflect Aliran's official stand. Views and opinions expressed in other pieces published here do not necessarily reflect Aliran's official position.
Our voluntary writers work hard to keep these articles free for all to read. But we do need funds to support our struggle for Justice, Freedom and Solidarity. To maintain our editorial independence, we do not carry any advertisements; nor do we accept funding from dubious sources. If everyone reading this was to make a donation, our fundraising target for the year would be achieved within a week. So please consider making a donation to Persatuan Aliran Kesedaran Negara, CIMB Bank account number 8004240948.