Aliran welcomes Nurul Izzah’s announcement today that she will no longer be serving as senior economics and finance adviser to her father Prime Minister Anwar Ibrahim, who is also Finance Minister.
Nurul Izzah said Hassan Marican, the chairman of the advisory committee to the finance minister, had invited her to join the secretariat that will support the advisory committee in its efforts at strengthening the economy of the country.
Nurul Izzah has accepted the role as co-head of the secretariat along with Petronas senior manager Khairil Anuar Ramli.
This is a positive move, and Aliran congratulates Nurul Izzah for this wise decision. It will benefit both father and daughter in the long run for there is now some professional distance between the two and a clearer line of accountability and checks and balances.
In the same vein, all other political leaders and people in important public leadership positions should avoid the taint of nepotism.
- Sign up for Aliran's free daily email updates or weekly newsletters or both
- Make a one-off donation to Persatuan Aliran Kesedaran Negara, CIMB a/c 8004240948
- Make a pledge or schedule an auto donation to Aliran every month or every quarter
- Become an Aliran member
So, let’s move away from any hint of nepotism in public life. There is a dire need now for Anwar to rebuild trust in his administration and strengthen its credibility, especially after it has been stung by criticism on so many fronts.
Aliran executive committee
12 February 2023
AGENDA RAKYAT - Lima perkara utama
- Tegakkan maruah serta kualiti kehidupan rakyat
- Galakkan pembangunan saksama, lestari serta tangani krisis alam sekitar
- Raikan kerencaman dan keterangkuman
- Selamatkan demokrasi dan angkatkan keluhuran undang-undang
- Lawan rasuah dan kronisme