Aliran is appalled by the incendiary, irresponsible and callous remarks made by ex-Prime Minister Mahiaddin Yasin, who claimed Christians in Malaysia are acting in concert with a group of Jews to promote and christianise Malaysia.
As a senior politician, he really should know better than to cause fear and alarm among the Malay-Muslim population. His remarks urging the audience not to vote for certain political parties seek to tap on the suspicion and distrust that some Muslims may have towards Christians and Jews.
This is most unbecoming and totally unacceptable. The effect of such unsubstantiated and careless remarks causes division and undermines harmonious peaceful relations enjoyed by most of Malaysia’s multi-ethnic and multi-religious society.
It is shameful that he needs to resort to playing the race-and-religion card to garner votes for his party.
Clearly, he has contravened Section 4A (Offence of promoting feelings of ill-will or hostility) of the Election Offences Act 1954. We urge the relevant authorities, such as the police, to fully investigate the source and basis of his remarks. If there is no substantial basis for such divisive remarks, then appropriate action should be taken against him, including his disqualification.
- Sign up for Aliran's free daily email updates or weekly newsletters or both
- Make a one-off donation to Persatuan Aliran Kesedaran Negara, CIMB a/c 8004240948
- Make a pledge or schedule an auto donation to Aliran every month or every quarter
- Become an Aliran member
At Aliran, we promote peace, freedom and solidarity. Mahiaddin’s uncalled for remarks is the antithesis of what we stand for.
Aliran executive committee
18 November 2022
AGENDA RAKYAT - Lima perkara utama
- Tegakkan maruah serta kualiti kehidupan rakyat
- Galakkan pembangunan saksama, lestari serta tangani krisis alam sekitar
- Raikan kerencaman dan keterangkuman
- Selamatkan demokrasi dan angkatkan keluhuran undang-undang
- Lawan rasuah dan kronisme
He is such a racist & not fit to be a PM not even a MP. Loss his plot & has no more ideas.
Is there something he knows & the police doesn’t know? The IGP shd investigate.