While we hold our breath for a new government to descend on Putrajaya, the many concerned observers have already set the parameters.
They will measure the incoming prime minister with two vital yardsticks.
First, he must be convincingly capable, resolute and progressive in thought.
Second, he must have a magnetic disposition that earns global trust, readily recognised internationally in politics and business.
If he has these two characteristics, the incoming PM should be able to give Malaysia the trajectory boost it badly needs to tackle two principal priorities – a respectable geopolitical direction and an economic jumpstart.
- Sign up for Aliran's free daily email updates or weekly newsletters or both
- Make a one-off donation to Persatuan Aliran Kesedaran Negara, CIMB a/c 8004240948
- Make a pledge or schedule an auto donation to Aliran every month or every quarter
- Become an Aliran member
Hence Mahiaddin Yasin and Anwar Ibrahim, the two potential appointees, must ask themselves, in the interest of 32 million people, if they are cut out for the job.
The jaguh kampung (village champion) politics must cease if Malaysia is to see prosperity, stability and unity.
All the parties that did not get the numbers to become PM, must note these priorities seriously before aligning with either Perikatan Nasional, led by Mahiaddin, or Pakatan Harapan, led by Anwar, to make up the governing coalition.
Any party leader ‘trading’ for personal power, position or money before throwing in their support behind the new PM, is not considering the needs of the nation before his own selfish political agendas.
The country needs serious repair. A lean, capable and resolute cabinet with the right leader is essential.
Clearly, someone with vision who is both articulate and internationally well known will be preferable as PM against another who is more locally known and more racially and religiously identified.
We must make the right choice at these crossroads.
Even as many Malaysians are praying hard for the right PM to emerge, they are also pinning their trust and hopes in the palace’s direction to help make this happen.
AGENDA RAKYAT - Lima perkara utama
- Tegakkan maruah serta kualiti kehidupan rakyat
- Galakkan pembangunan saksama, lestari serta tangani krisis alam sekitar
- Raikan kerencaman dan keterangkuman
- Selamatkan demokrasi dan angkatkan keluhuran undang-undang
- Lawan rasuah dan kronisme