While the BN threw parties to buy our votes, Penangites were wise enough not to buy into their dirty tricks, reports Pro-change.
I am a Penangite, and this is an account of what I went through over the last one month in Penang during the election period.
I was on the ground during the mega ceramahs and as I spoke to people around me, this is what I gathered.
• leaders who recognise the importance of free and fair elections;
• leaders who listen to the will of the people;
• a level playing field for all candidates;
• leaders who take corruption seriously and were ready to act on it;
• leaders who look at us as Malaysians and not through racial/religious lens.
- Sign up for Aliran's free daily email updates or weekly newsletters or both
- Make a one-off donation to Persatuan Aliran Kesedaran Negara, CIMB a/c 8004240948
- Make a pledge or schedule an auto donation to Aliran every month or every quarter
- Become an Aliran member
These are the main reasons tens of thousands of Penangites flocked to listen to the Pakatan leaders in Penang. And ultimately, gave the Pakatan the mandate to form the Penang government for another five years.
Simultaneously, Penangites also got an overdose of BN’s campaign antics:
• Free food, beer and dancing girls which brought out the worst in some people;
• Nightmarish traffic jams all around Penang due to closure of roads with all those street parties hosted under the 1Malaysia banner;
• Free petrol vouchers, movie tickets and even lottery tickets (to be claimed if BN won in Penang);
• The arrival of superstar singers from Korea, Hong Kong and the US to serenade Penangites under the 1 Malaysia banner;
• The arrival of a bankrupt developer and a young billionaire punk who were throwing money at us.
Penangites were revolted! We were totally aghast at the low-down dirty tactics of the BN. From the folks at the market to the urban professionals, we knew that the BN under the 1Malaysia banner was rotten and corrupt. The election results in Penang speak for itself.
To BN, do not take Penangites as fools and insult our intelligence any further. Do not ever have the audacity to throw money at us. Just because BN cannot offer Penangites what we want, they instead turn to racism. We are ahead of BN in their nasty game.
Teng Chang Yeow, before your last service centre closes, clean up the mess you have left behind especially the disgusting 1Malaysia flags that have ruined our state (see picture above).
Pro-change is the pseudonym of a Penang-based Aliran reader.