As we survey the mess around us that the Covid pandemic has unearthed, the lyrics of What a Wonderful World, a song made famous by Louis Armstrong, must strike a chord in our souls.
These past 15 months have been tumultuous for us. Today, as we gasp in horror over the announcement of a continuation of the ‘total’ lockdown, we are lost not knowing when that “as soon as possible” reconvening of Parliament can take place.
Never in our history have we witnessed people from all segments of society agreeing vehemently on one score: that the present backdoor government and its over 70 cabinet members are clueless and at a total disconnect with the person on the street.
This situation painfully leaves us with little recourse. We remain quietly counting the days till the next general election.
But why not immediately start mapping out the people’s creation of ‘a wonderful Malaysia’.
- Sign up for Aliran's free daily email updates or weekly newsletters or both
- Make a one-off donation to Persatuan Aliran Kesedaran Negara, CIMB a/c 8004240948
- Make a pledge or schedule an auto donation to Aliran every month or every quarter
- Become an Aliran member
A wonderful Malaysia would be a place where we:
- Eliminate all thieving, plotting and ‘frogging’ politicians before the polls. They will not even be allowed to go on the ceramah (political rally) circuit
- Nail politicians for their abuse of power nailed and force them to live on scaled-down salaries
- Dump racism and religious bigotry, and in its place, let the rainbow of meritocracy paint our new, wonderful world
- Coexist, sharing the burdens of building a whole new nation that upholds integrity, honour and dignity
- Drive out business captains who thrive on political brokering, and in their place, support and nurture genuine, caring businesses
- Prioritise a national happiness index
- Enjoy our natural heritage and live a healthy, vibrant lifestyle. For that to happen, we will have to say a big no to the plundering of our natural environment, driven by greed and self-enrichment
- Allow our children to grow up loving everyone in the land, free from racism, religious divisiveness and xenophobia
A wonderful Malaysia is possible: in this Covid climate, we already see people coming together, especially over social media, sharing their pain, agony and frustration. We see them determined to save our beloved land from all the misdeeds, poor management, thievery, betrayals and treasonous deeds and inaction by politicians, bootlickers (hand-kissers), paid goons and greedy business captains.
A wonderful Malaysia is possible – a place where we can see a rainbow of unity light up our nation. It is a future within reach. If it is possible in other lands, it is possible to have a wonderful Malaysia here as well.
God bless us for as long as we remain steadfast in rebuilding a wonderful Malaysia.
AGENDA RAKYAT - Lima perkara utama
- Tegakkan maruah serta kualiti kehidupan rakyat
- Galakkan pembangunan saksama, lestari serta tangani krisis alam sekitar
- Raikan kerencaman dan keterangkuman
- Selamatkan demokrasi dan angkatkan keluhuran undang-undang
- Lawan rasuah dan kronisme