This webinar was held almost two weeks after the general election, which saw none of the political coalitions achieving a simple majority to form the government, leading to several days of uncertainty.
Pakatan Harapan, Barisan Nasional, the Gabungan Parti Sarawak and Gabungan Rakyat Sabah formed a multi-coalition government with Anwar Ibrahim as Malaysia’s Prime Minister.
The general election also saw the rise of Perikatan Nasional, which won the second biggest share of seats (73), while PH secured 81 out of 222. PN was able to form a state government in Perlis, while Perak and Pahang saw PH and BN teaming up.
Questions linger as to how the new government under Anwar’s leadership will perform and what direction he and his new partners will steer the country. The outcome of the election showed a change in voter sentiment presents significant implications for Malaysian politics which cannot be ignored.
This webinar features political analysts who will give their take on the election and predict what is to come.
- Sign up for Aliran's free daily email updates or weekly newsletters or both
- Make a one-off donation to Persatuan Aliran Kesedaran Negara, CIMB a/c 8004240948
- Make a pledge or schedule an auto donation to Aliran every month or every quarter
- Become an Aliran member
• Dr. Oh Ei Sun, senior fellow, Singapore Institute of International Affairs; principal adviser, Pacific Research Center of Malaysia
• Assoc Prof Bridget Welsh, honorary research associate, University of Nottingham Malaysia’s Asia Research Institute
Moderator: Zaim Mohzani, director of external relations, KSI Strategic Institute for Asia Pacific
Organised by KSI Strategic Institute for Asia Pacific