In March 2022, the Bar Council sent a memorandum entitled “Bar Council Malaysia Memorandum on the Independent Police Conduct Commission (IPCC) Bill 2020” to relevant stakeholders in order to amend the existing IPCC Bill 2020, or to table a new bill incorporating certain crucial matters to bring about police accountability.
The Bar Council’s taskforce on the Independent Police Complaints and Misconduct Commission (IPCMC) and police accountability organised a public forum entitled “Forum on IPCMC and police accountability — The way forward”.
The purpose of this forum was to look into cases involving police shootings and deaths in police custody in Malaysia; the measures taken – or lack thereof – by the Enforcement Agency Integrity Commission in addressing the situation; the resulting need to set up an IPCMC and the need to amend the IPCC Bill 2020.
To watch the forum, click here.
- Mah Weng Kwai, former Court of Appeal judge; past president, Malaysian Bar; former president, the Law Association for Asia and the Pacific (Lawasia); former commissioner, the Malaysian human rights commission Suhakam
- M Ramachelvam, co-chairperson, Bar Council taskforce on IPCMC and police accountability
- Ivy N Josiah, former member, Royal Commission to Enhance the Operation and Management of the Royal Malaysia Police; former president and executive director, Women’s Aid Organisation
- Firdaus Husni, chief human rights strategist, Malaysian Centre for Constitutionalism and Human Rights; former deputy chairperson, Bar Council taskforce on IPCMC and police accountability
- Wong Yan Ke, Right to justice coordinator, Suara Rakyat Malaysia (Suaram)
- Tegakkan maruah serta kualiti kehidupan rakyat
- Galakkan pembangunan saksama, lestari serta tangani krisis alam sekitar
- Raikan kerencaman dan keterangkuman
- Selamatkan demokrasi dan angkatkan keluhuran undang-undang
- Lawan rasuah dan kronisme
The views expressed in Aliran's media statements and the NGO statements we have endorsed reflect Aliran's official stand. Views and opinions expressed in other pieces published here do not necessarily reflect Aliran's official position.