The Pandora Papers issue opened up a Pandora’s box of sophisticated and troubling challenges facing the global financial system today. These must be urgently tackled to stem the illicit outflow of funds, illicit trade and corrupt proceeds.
These problems continue to deprive struggling economies of much needed aid through tax returns to pay for government procurement and services, access to medicines, clean water and more.
We demand that the government set up a special investigative taskforce and that Parliament expedite discussion on the issue.
Panel members share their views on:
- The scope of content exposed in the Pandora Papers and the reasons for capital flight out of the country, illicit financial flows and tax evasion
- The identification of (legal and financial) loopholes and what Malaysian authorities must do to plug the gaps in the system
- The role of the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists (ICIJ), its partners, and the need for greater protection for whistleblowers and investigative journalists
- William Leong, Selayang MP
- Mukhriz Mahathir, Jerlun MP
- Aidila Razak, special reports editor, Malaysiakini
Moderator: Cynthia Gabriel, founding director, C4 Center
Organised by C4 Center