Home Minister Hamzah Zainudin recently downplayed immigration detention centre deaths with some callous remarks that triggered backlash from all fronts.
These remarks come as a report detailed the deaths of 149 Indonesians in five Sabah detention centres over 18 months between 2021 and 2022.
BFM speaks to Joseph Paul from Tenaganita to unpack the issue of living conditions and accountability that contributed to these tragic deaths.
Produced and presented by: Lee Chwi Lynn and Sharmilla Ganesan
The views expressed in Aliran's media statements and the NGO statements we have endorsed reflect Aliran's official stand. Views and opinions expressed in other pieces published here do not necessarily reflect Aliran's official position.
AGENDA RAKYAT - Lima perkara utama
- Tegakkan maruah serta kualiti kehidupan rakyat
- Galakkan pembangunan saksama, lestari serta tangani krisis alam sekitar
- Raikan kerencaman dan keterangkuman
- Selamatkan demokrasi dan angkatkan keluhuran undang-undang
- Lawan rasuah dan kronisme
Support our work by making a donation. Tap to download the QR code below and scan this QR code from Gallery by using TnG e-wallet or most banking apps: